Saturday, August 21, 2010
too much tv
I am guilty of letting my kids watch too much tv lately. The netflix account has been so fun but now I want to cut back on the tv watching time. I was unsure of how to do it without causing fights and drama and then I got a great idea from my sister. When her girls ask her to watch tv she says "yes, in 15 min." Saying no usually causes a lot of whinning and telling your kids to go play is like telling them to NOT go play. So I am saying yes to tv and then putting a condition like "in 15 min.", "during Chasers nap time", "after lunch", "let's read a book first". So far it is hard to tell but I am hoping with a different approach I will get less tv and fewer tantrums.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
In our house, when Joshua watches too much TV he turns into a MONSTER!! Unfortunately, we're back to watching Pinnochio every day, but that's not his fault, it's mine. Our solution, before we bought Pinoke, is that we don't get TV and he doesn't like the other movies we have :)
I've heard of that - it sounds like a great idea!
Good luck. :)
I have been trying something lately that has been helping. I used to take TV away from Quinton as a punishment for misbehaving, but I have changed my tactic since it wasn't working (on his behavior, not on watching less TV - he hardly ever watched TV because he was always in trouble. A real pain for me because I certainly can use an hour or two break in the day). Anyway, now instead of having TV be a given, it is a privilege that he earns. He earns marbles for doing good things, as well as doing every day things without whining. He can "buy" two hours of TV with six marbles. When the two hours are up, he hasn't complained about turning it off. If he does say he wants to watch more, I simply remind him that he can as soon as he has 6 more marbles. It has really helped his behavior, and made TV seem like a special reward.
Post a Comment